May 17, 2007

San Francisco, CA


Bi-Rite Creamery ~ 3692 18th Street

I was so excited when I heard that one of my favorite markets was opening an organic creamery!! I drove by weekly to see when it would open. I will never forget the day we drove up, got parking across the street & unloaded our crew, M (5 yrs old), E (3 years old) and M (8 months old) - they were so excited to finally be tasting possibly the best ice cream in San Francisco! So, we bound into the store ..... only to be told they were not open yet. Major bummer and disappointment on their no longer smiley faces. The guy there felt so bad that he offered to give them a cone each of the only ice cream he had ... pumpkin. I am thinking to myself - BONUS points for the soon to be creamery but at the same time how am I going to talk them into Pumpkin ice cream - they hate pumpkin. Well ... they loved the ice cream and I mean loved it, slurped it up and could not stop talking about this place! I knew in my heart this place would be worth the wait! Well, they were! I stop by at least once a month and I always get the same thing Roasted Banana Ice Cream - it is out of this world. Super rich and creamy and not to sweet. You can tell it is organic from the first lick - just melts on your tongue with creamy goodness!!! I finally stopped by and picked up a pint for dessert at home last night. This time I strayed from my all time favorite for one that I have been hearing about and reading about everywhere - Salted Caramel. Now, I love Caramel but salt added to that??? Kind of weird and I was suspect. Let me say this get it while it lasts! Sweet, creamy and succulent with a little bit of tartness to it! An explosion in your mouth! 5 fork rating, definitely!

They also sell the pints in the frozen section of their market, on the same street.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can not wait to get there. Sounds Great! Thanks!

blever said...

salted caramel ... put it on dry ice and overnight it to me NOW!! Better yet, drive it up and we'll eat it together!! And i'm not even 1/2 kidding ... you know you love me that much!! And i need the comfort ... call me back (or if all else fails email me) so i can tell you why ...

Paul Winters said...

For an icecream lover and organic addict I want to check out http://chocolateandzucchini.com/. At her story The Shortest 3 1/2 Minutes of my Life she's mentioning Icecreamparlor http://www.grom.it/. Last month they started a sellingpoint in New York. Yes, that's far from SF, but their philosophie of icecream making is Slow Food worthy.
I regognize your experience to taste organic produced food. I still remember my first zip of organic milk, after I switched to it after drinking supermarket milk until then. Outch, what a rich taste! Due to the early arrival of summer in Amsterdam, I've already had some icecreams, but only from parlors who make it themselves (mostly bakery's). Maybe not 100 percent organic, but whith great taste!